"And I tell you, if you have the desire for knowledge and the power to give it physcial expression, go out and explore... Some will tell you that you are mad, and nearly all will say, 'What is the use?' For we are a nation of shopkeepers, and no shopkeeper will look at research which does not promise him a financial return within a year. And so you will sledge nearly alone, but those with whom you sledge will not be shopkeepers: that is worth a great deal. If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

-Apsley Cherry-Garrard, from
The Worst Journey in the World



Thursday 26 August 2010

MA BAD for nothing for long time but has been PROPER busy last few days AND SO...

Anyway back onto it we're in a town called Hallim where on the first night we were having a few beers, went swimming in the sea, came back to drink a few more beers and a man (who was sat on a table with about 7 other guys) called me over to speak to him and he turned out to be the local representative and BOY it was SOOO awkward. Truely. He was saying that we should be careful because normally foriegners act naughty and so have given all foriengers a bad name here and considering we are teachers we should be proper good. Anyway last night we walked past him sitting in a restaurant, waved to him and carried on walking to the beach. We stopped off at the convience store and he appeared from his car, went into the convience store and just stood by the counter not buying anything and only left after we had finished there. Honestly its proper wierding us out. Every person we see now is one of his spies. A fat child came to the convienience store 3 times last night in one hour, a police car drove past 5 times and I swear there are cameras in the trees.

Excitement aside my Head teacher has invited me to her house for a meal tommore night to meet the family which I'm excited for as she is soooooo laid back. She took me to the school yesterday where I will be teaching and on the way back we tried to find a shortcut to my house so I can ride a bicycle. As she did not know the way, she literally said 'where do you want to go, pick a road' and we did it that way, became quite lost and far from anywhere but it amazed me that she was laughing without a worry in the world about it. However I have to buy a shirt today as I literally have no clean clothes for the meal tommore, I've been evicted from my house for the next few days AND my washing didn't dry and so is proper smelly. Also I need to get my lesson plans together for my first ever class. My classroom is brand new and I have NEVER seen so much technology in a classroom. Also I have 2 spongebob squarepants board games :D!

AND AND AND our group has been entered into the Guiness Book or World Records for the 'Largest one-to-one English teaching session' whilst we were on English Camp. Pretty cool eh?

Thinking about it I had best get some materials togther for the classes before I'm too late on it SO watch this space :D ______________________

No comments:

Post a Comment