"And I tell you, if you have the desire for knowledge and the power to give it physcial expression, go out and explore... Some will tell you that you are mad, and nearly all will say, 'What is the use?' For we are a nation of shopkeepers, and no shopkeeper will look at research which does not promise him a financial return within a year. And so you will sledge nearly alone, but those with whom you sledge will not be shopkeepers: that is worth a great deal. If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

-Apsley Cherry-Garrard, from
The Worst Journey in the World



Saturday 11 September 2010

So the last week has been pretty fast... my attempts at trying to keep this blog up are falling pretty fast right now but hopefully I'll be gettin the internet in me room soon so I can talk EVERYDAY :D

So we had another typhoon a few days ago... I was writing a post on here at the time but the weather got quite bad and the loud speakers were announcing stuff all over town... it could have just been 'Party at Matey's house' but I just took it to be 'TYPHOON TYPHOON RUN HOME RUN HOME!!!' It was just raining on the way home but a few hours later at maybe 10pm the wind picked up to some intense intensity. I went outside to have a moment in the wind, I was out there for 10minutes, came back inside and quite literally floated up the stairs. My body felt so so light, I went and knocked on the other guys doors to see if they wanted to go down to the ocean to really feel the wind AND SO three of us cycled down into the storm (as it were).

The beach was deserted (desserted?) save for a few bystanders who were on rooftops watching the sea, with very good reason to do so. Benny said the sea was angry;I said moreover keen, but whichever one it was it was most certainly in some passionate movement. We were going to go swimming but after watching the waves for a few minutes it was obvious that there was no predictability to the waves. That may sound stupid but normally waves come up, break and roll back down, but theses waves were rolling backwards, forwards, diagonally and sideways; waves have always been waves to me but that night, just before the waves would break they were the jaws of a lions mouth - entirely.

I decided to try and have a moment with the ocean at this point and found myself a place where the rocks/lava reached a peak to the ocean. I lost my flip flops, rolled my trousers up tight to the tops of my thighs and stood being battered by the waves. I was there for maybe half an hour just watching the sea and for one small moment I lost myself in it. The misdirection of the waves breaking on the rocks gave me a sound covering of being soaked from EVERY direction. If I were blind folded I would not be able to tell you whether the sea were infront of me or behind me.

I can't really describe the whole feeling of what happened, but being in that space where I felt as though I was in the centre of the waves, a thousand miles away from shore, I became a little over-whelmed and the urge to jump into the waves was, with no exaggeration, exceptional. I think the sea was trying to eat me. All I wanted at that time was to lose control and I cannot even explain why... heres to not giving in :D. But for the drama of it all that night, I feel as though I had a fraction of the smallest glimpse into an aspect of creation.

Paul went for a walk in the water and Benny was taking a picture of him in the waves, and I thought to myself; this is the first time where a picture would NOT paint a thousand words. No picture could have done that night justice; only words could have come somwhere close to describing it.

Am gonn get some food but will get some photos and stories up in a jiffy :D

No comments:

Post a Comment