"And I tell you, if you have the desire for knowledge and the power to give it physcial expression, go out and explore... Some will tell you that you are mad, and nearly all will say, 'What is the use?' For we are a nation of shopkeepers, and no shopkeeper will look at research which does not promise him a financial return within a year. And so you will sledge nearly alone, but those with whom you sledge will not be shopkeepers: that is worth a great deal. If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

-Apsley Cherry-Garrard, from
The Worst Journey in the World



Monday 27 September 2010

PASSION!!

Possibly the most important thing I have learnt today!

I was feeling quite exhausted today after the last week so I put some activities together for the kids. I mustered some energy and the kids saw straight through it; they saw I was not interested in what was going on and so this resulted a fair ol bumpy day.

I figure it is a lot like an artist who sings a song and sings it, and an artist who covers the song to make money.

The passion in the voice can intensify the words ten times over and maybe even be more meaningful than the words themselves.

The artist covering won't know the full meaning of the words really and so wont do the song any justice.

Impossible comparison maybe but I felt like a covering artist today and for this the kids lost faith I think.

As Bing Crosby once said 'It's all in the way you say it' :D.

I guess today I really did feel like someone who was being paid to occupy a bunch of kids.

First day of occurance and hopefully the last!

No comments:

Post a Comment