"And I tell you, if you have the desire for knowledge and the power to give it physcial expression, go out and explore... Some will tell you that you are mad, and nearly all will say, 'What is the use?' For we are a nation of shopkeepers, and no shopkeeper will look at research which does not promise him a financial return within a year. And so you will sledge nearly alone, but those with whom you sledge will not be shopkeepers: that is worth a great deal. If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

-Apsley Cherry-Garrard, from
The Worst Journey in the World



Sunday 19 September 2010


I have one day left of school now and then I'm on holiday for a week.... WOOHOO. In school last week I was talking to my Mentor Teacher about a few of the kids who were fighting in my class, crying or just proving to be a bit difficult. I mentioned one child to her and through her broken English she divulged 'Ah he is an orpan (orphan)... but he have father but his father does not (ummmmm) love him ... so he just want love... he (umm) want to love you and he want very much for you to love him, just love him and he be okay'.

He was throwing stuff and kicking the desk and chairs in class so my co-teacher kept him behind after the lesson to speak to him and he could'nt not stop crying all through it because he felt so bad (apparently) so he came over to me to apologise, and I said it was okay, gave him a HUGEEEE hug and since then, touch wood, he has been so attentive and non-aggressive :D. Unless hes just taking some sort of medication!?!?!




Picture at the top is the view from my window..... YEAH I'M BRAGGING..... RIGHT THERE :D....

The dog is one of two puppies who were on 'Udo Island' this weekend (took a small trip from an island to a smaller island) and they had so much emotion!! They were both tied up away from the house so when I went over they could not sit still; I picked them up and their hearts were beating so fast... so so fast.

Last picture is the ferry we took to get to the island. Pretty interesting eh?


I think I mentioned before that I'll go into school early for the lunch and put the lesson plans together. So if the English room is in use then I'll go into the library and try to learn a bit of Korean. One day I was in the library and I was stuck so I asked SpongeBob 2 if he could help me read a sentence (he is in grade 2 which is about 6yrs old I think) so he stood there correcting me, then his mate, SpongeBob 1 (I just call him SpongeBob) came over and helped aswell. SpongeBob 2 didn't take to this very well and they began arguing over who was gonna teach me to read. SpongeBob 2 won.

If they are in the library now when I walk in, they are to me like torpedos to a boat. First one to get to me teaches me. Also because of this, I've noticed that they are so much more receptive in class. SORTED :D!!

No comments:

Post a Comment