"And I tell you, if you have the desire for knowledge and the power to give it physcial expression, go out and explore... Some will tell you that you are mad, and nearly all will say, 'What is the use?' For we are a nation of shopkeepers, and no shopkeeper will look at research which does not promise him a financial return within a year. And so you will sledge nearly alone, but those with whom you sledge will not be shopkeepers: that is worth a great deal. If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

-Apsley Cherry-Garrard, from
The Worst Journey in the World



Thursday 23 December 2010

This morning I'm sat in me room with the heating on, me double doors BOTH closed, wearing a hoody, two pairs of socks, a jacket and me hood up and its still cold. The wind is so desperate to get into my room this morning... I think it really wants to be my friend.
The sea is in turmoil with waves jumping over the harbour wall and the seagulls are having difficulty trying to fly anywhere; at the moment they are just hovvering around the place looking like they are in control, but I know they're not.

Today all of my lessons have been cancelled (WooHoo!!) but I've still gotta go into school. I promised all the kids a party today so I think they are going to hunt me down and eat me alive in school today when it occurs to them that no English = no party.

Tonight is going to be something quite special. We're going out in the city and with our boss. Also, one of the teachers from school has asked me to phone her when I get in because her and her sister want to go drinking aswell. On top of this it's Christmas Eve. I cannot wait.

Then tomorrow we have Christmas day in Hallim and we have maybe 5 other people coming to join us from other places so it should be a proper good day. AND the Aussie who is leaving is being replaced by a chap called Ben who has been living on the mainland for the past 6 months. May not seem that interesting but he is a top chap. We got to know him in orientation and he came to visit us for one weekend and managed to fall in love with Jeju in two days and asked to be transferred. Gotta trust those feelings eh?

At Winter Camp, for sports day, I told my Mentor Teacher about British Bull Dogs. She was delighted and wants to use it with 120 kids. I've began grooming them and yesterday we played it for the first time and it was AMAZING!! One girl dropped out from exhaustion and then two other kids were chasin each other around the playground because one of em pulled the others hair tooo tooo hard but they LOVED it!! Those kids are gonna win on the day we play it.

After I wrote this I popped out for 5 mins to get some milk wearing all me jackets and hat and my hands and face were numb and my face was wet from secret tears!! All this cold and no snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment