"And I tell you, if you have the desire for knowledge and the power to give it physcial expression, go out and explore... Some will tell you that you are mad, and nearly all will say, 'What is the use?' For we are a nation of shopkeepers, and no shopkeeper will look at research which does not promise him a financial return within a year. And so you will sledge nearly alone, but those with whom you sledge will not be shopkeepers: that is worth a great deal. If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

-Apsley Cherry-Garrard, from
The Worst Journey in the World



Thursday 9 December 2010

I hope I cannot be guilty of taking my job too seriously HOWEVER recently I've been noticing the kids behaviour in lessons at school and I've come to the conclusion that students are mirrors of thier teachers. I say this on a surface level but as time progresses it seems to go a lot deeper.

So on the surface there have been a couple of days when I've gone into school hung-over and I'll teach the kids the lesson I've put together and teach it as though they are just learners and I'm just a teacher. Simple as.

Unfortunately my hang-over is more than evident in thier attitudes. This is divided into the Hang-over Headache, the Hang-over Bad-temper and the Hang-over Life-is-a-Burden attitude.

Headache; they are the kids who refuse to do anything because I haven't presented the lesson to them in an energetic and interested manner and so they do not want to do anything.

Then the Bad-Temper hang-over children will fight with each other because I cannot be bothered to stop them arguing and consequently they get in bad moods because I am angry at them and they are angry at each other.

Finally the Life-is-a-burden hang-over attitude when the English language doesn't matter, 'Why should I learn this subject? I hate it and I think it's crap' and it doesn't make sense to them as there is no fun or passion.

I do not exaggerate in these attitudes; the kids do NOT want to learn if they know they are learning and they have to sit down and understand. I don't blame them; how can you explain to a 7year-old child that this language will boost thier chances of a better life and future when the most important part of thier day (and life) is returning to the big hole they are digging in the sand behing the climbing frame?

So going back to the mirror idea I've also noticed that inspiration and challenges fall into this catergory aswell. Now, I can hear a few thoughts thinking 'Yes Simon, you are taking this way too seriously', but how can you inspire an individual if you are not inspired yourself??

It's like trying to describe what a strawberry tastes like to a friend HOWEVER you have never tried a strawberry yourself, you have only read about what a strawberry tastes like, but you tell them that you HAVE tried it. Without having tried it yourself, you lack the conviction in your words and hollow words are seen easily.

Your friend may believe you, but the skepticism is there and skepticism means that they are not fully involved with what you are saying and for this; they look upon strawberries in a duller light compared to someone who has had strawberries described to them by someone who has eaten a strawberry.

You do not just do strawberries an injustice, you do your friend an injustice aswell. If you are to tell them about strawberries then they deserve to know the full force and beauty of that sweet and shining red fruit!


Secondly, with reference to challenging the kids, it is sort of the same with the strawberries. I'd find it slightly hypocritical to tell the kids 'yes it's hard, but you can do it! Just try' if I was never challenged myself. Now, I have an example.

Where I park my bike in Hallim there is a raised pavement. On the drop side of the pavement there is a cabbage field maybe 6ft down. Running alongside the pavement is a small 2ft wall which has the width of a curb. Not being a fan of heights I walk along the pavement HOWEVER one day I decided to balance on top of the wall and walk the whole 20meters that it stretched. The blood went to my head, I felt a little dizzy and it took me maybe 10minutes to do it but I did it. The feeling after was incredible. I went to school that day with an attitude to knock down mountains and I remember that day being a seriously good day (and not just because I walked on a wall), but because the kids were on my side.

You may think that it is just a good mood being reflected in the kids but a good mood is wayyyyy too simple an explanation.

Also you may be thinking 'you've got too much time to think Simon' but the only reason I've noticed this is because of the different types of lessons I have. It's impossible to ignore how the kids can be so receptive to one day, and so brutal to another. It really is down to you. To bring that quote back,

'The greatest dances are not judged by their techniques, but by their passion.'

Unfortunately, I write all of this down as though I know, but I still don't understand it myself as everyday still is, an endless journey up the mountain of learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment