"And I tell you, if you have the desire for knowledge and the power to give it physcial expression, go out and explore... Some will tell you that you are mad, and nearly all will say, 'What is the use?' For we are a nation of shopkeepers, and no shopkeeper will look at research which does not promise him a financial return within a year. And so you will sledge nearly alone, but those with whom you sledge will not be shopkeepers: that is worth a great deal. If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

-Apsley Cherry-Garrard, from
The Worst Journey in the World



Sunday 7 November 2010

Most mornings at the bus stop I'll be sat down next to all the old women farmers who have some serious back problems but have some serious smiles to counter thier backs.

Anyway they always laugh at me. I don't know what its about either. Some days I'll have a water melon, or a big bag of sweets, or bog roll (for Halloween), or when I drink my chocolate milk I can understand why they laugh but the other days are mysterious to me.

Today an old man came over and tried talking to me and was proper nice, as when he realised I couldn't speak Korean he left. Most days, if this happens, the person talking to me will stay there and say something to the old women and they'll all laugh. Today this did not happen.

I got on the bus and he was already on it and patted the seat next to him for me to sit down. He spoke more Korean and then just smiled. The old mans happiness made me super happy that he was investing this much confusion into a Westerner AND THEN it occured to me why he was so so nice. He stank of alcohol. It was 10.30am and not even Christmas day.

Either way, he was happy and consequently made me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment