"And I tell you, if you have the desire for knowledge and the power to give it physcial expression, go out and explore... Some will tell you that you are mad, and nearly all will say, 'What is the use?' For we are a nation of shopkeepers, and no shopkeeper will look at research which does not promise him a financial return within a year. And so you will sledge nearly alone, but those with whom you sledge will not be shopkeepers: that is worth a great deal. If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

-Apsley Cherry-Garrard, from
The Worst Journey in the World



Monday 11 October 2010

Yesterday was beautiful; all my lessons went from start to finish and 'problems'.... they did not exist. What made it extra special was that my co-teacher was not in (as he is PROPER ill) so surviving a Monday without him was quite spectacular.

I left school, didn't bother changing so I was still in me shirt and trousers and began cycling home. It is ALL down hill so I had the wind blowing in me face on an empty road completely dwarfed by trees.

Some clouds pulled a shifty maneuvre so that light began spilling out onto the ocean and the boats and then onto the island giving a PROPER good representation to the end of the day.

AND THEN

I begin to hear many little voices which are getting louder, I turn around and a whole car full of kids are scrambling to try and get thier heads out of the car window screaming 'SIMON! SIMON! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! SIMON! SIMON!'

They had maybe 2 seconds of this and the car full of waving hands and screams over-took infront of me and after 5 more seconds it was so far ahead that it joined in with the ocean, the boats, the trees and the rest of the island in the evening light to create the

MOST PERFECT

end of the day feeling. If only it was a Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment