"And I tell you, if you have the desire for knowledge and the power to give it physcial expression, go out and explore... Some will tell you that you are mad, and nearly all will say, 'What is the use?' For we are a nation of shopkeepers, and no shopkeeper will look at research which does not promise him a financial return within a year. And so you will sledge nearly alone, but those with whom you sledge will not be shopkeepers: that is worth a great deal. If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

-Apsley Cherry-Garrard, from
The Worst Journey in the World



Thursday 29 July 2010

Thought I'd better get this started before it turns out to be a flop AND SO....

It is Friday 30th July and it is Christmas Eve. I don't know what day I'm flying out yet but OH YES and a HOOOOZAR to the excitement! Sunday, Monday (happy days) or Tuesday. I found out from a very helpful but quite grumpy woman this mornin that it is still being processed but is real.
Other than this phone call the only other thing which is making South Korea real to me is the pile amassing in the lounge of Korea stuff WHICH yesterday included about three packets of Walkers Sensations crisps, a packet of pop corn, two packets of the old skool club bars, six bakewell tarts, KP dry roasted peanuts and Tescos own jaffa cakes. Me and me sister actually have THE BEST mother in the world; one who does not think I will be fed in Korea. One packet of sensations is actually called 'Oriental flavour' which I think I may save until I have a friend or two so we can try and decide whether South Korea is actually authentically 'Oriental' according to the taste of Walkers. How we can measure this I shall wait to tell you. YAAAAAA!
On the Oriental lines Said's 'Orientalism' has made its way into the books flying over the ocean as well as Scott's 'Waverley', Max, Laura and Ana's 'Guide to Korea' :D:D:D and me mums mystery book weighing in at 1kg but apparently v.useful HOWEVER this must wait until Christmas day before it is opened.
On preparedness for life in Korea I know not much Korean and by not much I mean none. Kinda bad I know but today I found out there is a guy working in the offices in Seoul who doesn't speak any Korean so he is much worse than me. I haven't packed the bag yet and so don't quite know what I have/haven't got BUT I think my life is only really going to differ (materially) in Korea in the sense that I wear formal clothes which I have now bought. So effectively I am ready.

Sound

1 comment:

  1. You worked out yet if walkers got the oriental taste right? x

    ReplyDelete