"And I tell you, if you have the desire for knowledge and the power to give it physcial expression, go out and explore... Some will tell you that you are mad, and nearly all will say, 'What is the use?' For we are a nation of shopkeepers, and no shopkeeper will look at research which does not promise him a financial return within a year. And so you will sledge nearly alone, but those with whom you sledge will not be shopkeepers: that is worth a great deal. If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

-Apsley Cherry-Garrard, from
The Worst Journey in the World



Sunday 9 January 2011

I'm understanding that I haven't written anything in here for quite some time!!

Also I've noticed it really has been about whats occuring in my day, and as interesting as that may seem to me, it's not so interesting for you AND SO I have now decided to try and document Jeju-do life for you... from as neutral stance as possible, however unfortunately I have been living here now for 5 months so BRING ON THE BIASED OPINIONS!!!!!

This week and last week I have/had winter camp. This is where the kids are on vacaction but if they want, they can come on a special camp to learn English and it is SO MUCH FUN. Last week I was with four different schools but this week I'm at my own school with 20 students and they are Grade's 1, 2 and 3.

Today I had to put 4 hours worth of lessons together so I took a fragile lesson plan in today and it worked so well. We did Goldilocks and the Three Bears. The first hour was the story (with Liz (the Irish Epik teacher) narrating and I had the fortunate part to play of Goldilocks) and then they had to re-write Goldilocks with an alternate ending. Then the second hour was games relating to Goldilocks then for the 3rd and 4th hour we played a few more games and got the kids to act out their alternate endings in the play.

First ending: A hunter comes in the house and starts shooting the bears.

Second ending: Goldilocks apologises and everything is fine.

Third ending: Goldilocks gets eaten by the bears.

Fourth ending: Goldilocks gets eaten by the bears.

I've always been to weary of getting the kids to do drama but it turns out today that they have mines of it. The kids loved it as well.

Also today I completed my second piano book!! I was called 'smart' by my piano teacher (first time I've been called that word in years) AND I'm only on my 8th lesson!!! There's an old Mozart in the making here I tell you.

Watch this space for new and upcoming info on Jeju.... Woooooohoooooo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment